Sunday, September 11, 2011

Metals: Peacock

I've been really bad at keeping up with the blog... but I am not giving up yet!

I thought I'd pop by and give you all an update on my metals/jewelry class. Our first projects are due this week (Tuesday to be exact).
When our assignments were revealed I immediately knew what I wanted to do. This project was about "piercing and bending" and taking a 2D sketch and making it an interesting 3D sculpture. We were given a 3X4'' piece of copper, so they are quite small.

Here is my initial design, transferred to the metal via tracing paper.

Here is an in-progress shot of me sawing the metal away from the outside of the design. I have currently broken 3 saw blades (tiny, thin, and quite fragile ones) as opposed to my table-mates who have not broken a single one. It must be the impatience in me. 

Here it is all cut out. In this shot I have yet to "pierce" the metal, taking out all the inner-designs. I also still have the "bending" to do.


I learned a lot on this project, our first one. I had never worked with metal, and certainly not with a gas torch, but I feel a lot more comfortable now that my feet are wet. 
A lot of my classes this semester have "dangerous" elements and I am so intimidated, but I've learned that just jumping in (with safety precautions of course) is the best way to beat that. It feels good to conquer my fears and make something in the process (: 

And finally, after coming in over the weekend and taking extra time in class, here's my finished piece. 
He's rather pokey and sharp, but I really like the way it turned out. 

My initial reasoning for doing this animal and the shape of the plume wrapping around is because I want to place a tea-light candle behind it and so the glow will come through all the holes.




Once I get "real" photos (not crappy cell phone ones) I'll try out the candle idea and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for looking! If you look at the 2nd to last photo above you can see a sneak peek as to what my 2nd project is.

No comments:

Post a Comment