Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Deborah Butterfield

This is a post I wanted to share last year when I was an undergraduate at Texas Tech University. I was doing research for a Design II project involving public artworks that were on campus.

In front of the west entrance to Murray Residence Hall at Tech there is this beautiful, majestic statue of a horse. Titled "Wind River", it is made from drift wood and then cast in bronze.

From an article on Tech's website:
Deborah Butterfield is known widely for her 
lyrical sculptures of horses.  The artist’s 
horses, which have been her sustained focus for 
more than 20 years, often depict a range of 
naturalistic attitudes, curves, and movements of 
the animal, but they are never simply 
narrative.  Instead, the artist’s horses are 
poised between literal representation and 
abstraction.  Created from various materials, 
including wood, metal, and plant fibers, 
Butterfield’s sculpture can resemble textured 
line drawings that have risen from the paper to 
assume a weighty, expressive, three-dimensional 
form. 





After reading more about the artist and seeing some of the extensive collection she's made over her career, I am thoroughly impressed and in love with the artwork. 


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>




3 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts! I wish I had even a smidgen of determination that you do in making your posts, I can't even start a blog...lol. hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jessica! I really appreciate hearing that :) I am trying harder now!
    I miss you girly! We definitely need to set up a crafty coffee date again.
    You can make a blog if you want to, I believe that you are ultra talented and can do anything you set your mind to.

    P.S. I could use some help with pattern reading again, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes we will need to set up something..I haven't touched yarn in months.. eek! Lol I bet I could help out if I'm not too rusty myself.

    ReplyDelete