Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Local Events

Well guys, I have buried my head in the sand again on the blogging front. However, this week seems full of too many things that need to be shared so I will pass them along here!
Last week was Spring Break and I took a trip to see my sister in Austin, TX -- hopefully I can find time to share my amazing vacation -- so I was not really ready to come back to school and work (womp womp womp).
This week there is an Educator's Expo being held at my college that I hope to check out and get more information from, a lecture given by a photographer at Amarillo College, an art show my grandmother is involved with, and a new local art shop in Canyon is hosting an animal shelter awareness type of thing. Lots to do!!!

Here are some more details on each:

As a future art educator (if all goes according to plan) I want to find as many opportunities to get my face and enthusiasm noticed! Hope to see any of my fellow education majors there :)

Amarillo College is providing a lecture given by photographer Lupita Murillo Tinnen. Here is a little information:
Tinnen, a professional photographer and professor of photography at Collin College, is an advocate of the DREAM Act. Her portraits of undocumented college students that she collectively titled “American DREAM” will be on display March 4 through April 19 at Amarillo College.
She also will deliver a lecture at AC, on March 20. The exhibit and the lecture are free and open to the public.
Tinnen’s photographs will hang in the Southern Light Gallery on the first floor of Lynn Library on the Washington Street Campus. The artist’s lecture will be at 7 p.m. Wednesday, March 20 in the building directly north of the library—the College Union Building, upstairs in the Oak Room.
A reception for the artist will precede the lecture and commence at 6:30 p.m.


My Mimaw, Beth Thomas, will have artworks hanging at Craig Methodist Retirement Community here in Amarillo, TX. The reception for the show, Art is Ageless, will be held this Saturday (March 23rd) from 4 PM to 6 PM. I can't wait to go out and support my strong, beautiful grandmother in her passionate pursuit of what makes her happy. She is a very talented artist, working mostly with pastels. 


The Paper Crane (facebook) is an art store in Canyon, TX. Here is their invite for the event:
This Saturday the Texas Panhandle Pet Savers will be teaming up with The Paper Crane in order to adopt out sweet pups! The TPPS nonprofit organization gets dogs who are at risk of being put down by the pound to adopt them to out to people all over Texas! Help us find these pups good homes! Show your support by coming out and engaging in the fun activities of a large scale paint by number surprise, painting small pictures of dogs, and a silent auction of dog focused art pieces. A portion of our proceeds from the activities will go towards TPPS! Bring the whole family for a fun filled Saturday afternoon!!!


//////////////////

So all of that, plus the mound of homework I've been half-heartedly chipping away at, have got me filled up with things to do :) 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rita!!

    Have you had the chance to view the portraits by Lupita Murillo Tinnen. Her work is amazing. If you didn't, her portraits are going to be on display until April 19th. Did you come to the lecture?

    Thank for the mention of the event in your blog!!

    ~ Amarillo College

    ReplyDelete